1.26.2008

It's been a week (multiplied by...)

General News
Hello to all! Is has been a bit longer than a week this time since I last posted. In fact, I believe the word "stale" was used recently. So, in a nut shell, here is the last month (or so)....

In reading the last post, I noticed that I had just started puppy training with the dog. Well, today she "graduated" (believe it or not, with a graduation cap and everything). She can now do basic obedience type of stuff (sit/down/stay/etc) with relative frequency. This is actually a good thing, as she is probably pushing about 90+ pounds, and her head (while standing) is above my waist (not that I'm that tall - but we're talking about a dog here). So, the ability for us to enforce a little control is probably not a bad thing.

The holidays were good. We had a lot of family come to the house over the course of the holidays, which was very nice (both because it was nice to see everyone, and because we didn't have to pack up and go anywhere). As it was the first Christmas in the house, Julie did a very nice job of decorating (both within and without). As some of you may know, one of the prerequisites for us when we were looking for a new house was that there was a nice family-centric area for the tree - and it did work out great. The only casualty I can think of from the tree was the ornament that has managed to survive Julie's entire life-span, lasted about seven minutes once the dog so the tree.

So, it is now January and all is back to normal. School/work/everyday life has begun again. Last week, the wife and I joined a local (quite inexpensive) gym. For all who know me (those would be the ones giggling uncontrollably right now), you know that carving out time to go work-out has never been one of my strong suits - but it is now costing me money, so my plan is to try and make it work. Wish us luck.

Tech stuff
As many of you know, I am a hopeless geek. For some reason 10+ years of doing software development 10 hours a day hasn't stopped me from really enjoying technology. So, my new thing lately is trying different linux distros. This little hobby emerged after we bought a mac, and I started to enjoy using OS X. However, once Julie kind of took over the mac, I realized that I wanted to play too. I have a really old desktop that I was still using with XP (and darned if it wasn't getting awfully slow). So, after realizing that I was too cheap to buy a new mac (those things aren't cheap) I realized that linux was pretty cool. I've thus far messed with the (k)(x)ubuntu family, and was running PCLinuxOS (my current favorite thus far I think). I usually seem to gravitate towards the gnome desktop, but am trying out the new KDE for awhile - see if it grows on me. If anyone actually reads this thing (and happens to mess with Linux) any advice as to what you use, and why you like/dislike it is quite welcome.

Also, I believe I will soon be in the market for a new iPod (my 4g has blowuptuated for the third time in 8 months - sad mac face and all). I think I am between the classic (80gb) and the 8gb nano. I think I'm on the side of more space (and less $$) instead of the opposite (the ipod touch). Or...do I forgo the iPod replacement, and get the AppleTV? Again - any thoughts on this would be cool as well.

Ah well...this is what a months worth of my not writing gets you...more to come as events warrant.

Later all.

No comments: